The Latest on Laconia Bike Week 2020 (Including New Dates)
Posted By [Photo Courtesy of Laconia MC Week]
Matt Ellis, Motorcycle Shippers Brand Ambassador. Armed with a laptop and camera, he can be often be found at the race track with friends and family. Motorcycle Shippers
Delayed but don’t be dismayed, Laconia Bike week is still on!
Laconia can make a claim that the other two cannot. Often referred to as the Oldest National Motorcycle Rally, these roots reach back to the summer of 1916. Gypsy rides. Harley vs. Indian Wars. The Loudon Classic. There’s a reason why thousands of riders flock to a sleepy New Hampshire town year after year for Laconia Motorcycle Week. And this year, the rally’s 97th, is sure to offer the same signature mix of music, races and scenic rides—just on different dates.
From its new dates to its biggest events, here’s your quick guide to Laconia Motorcycle Week 2020.
New Dates: August 23-30, 2020
Last week, Progressive Laconia Motorcycle Week was postponed to August 23-30, 2020. The 97th Annual Loudon Classic is now scheduled for August 29, closing out the week as always. These new dates reflect the New Hampshire governor’s May extension for the state’s stay-at-home order.
The director of the Laconia Motorcycle Week Association told news outlets that canceling the event was never an option. As he told The Union Leader, if the event were pushed back again in August, it would be moved to September. “If we have to, we move it to October,” said Charlie St. Clair. “We can hold it in the snow if we have to. …Motorcyclists are pretty tough.”
With the new August dates set, riders around the web are already counting down the days until the world’s oldest motorcycle rally. (Quick fact: the rally is technically not “annual” since it wasn’t held during the Great Depression and World War II.)
Same Location: Weirs Beach and Surrounding Areas
Laconia Motorcycle Week calls Weirs Beach “ground zero” for the rally. This is where you’ll see most of the vendors, entertainment and action. Here are some other locations you’ll want to map out before you arrive in New Hampshire’s beautiful Lakes Region.
- Rally Headquarters: Located on Lakeside Avenue in Weirs Beach; your departure point for the event’s daily gypsy tours, which are guided scenic rides.
- New Hampshire Motor Speedway: Where you’ll head if the 97th Annual Loudon Classic is on your “must see” list—which it should be (1122 NH-106, Loudon, NH 03307)
- A Note on the Traffic Plan: Lakeside Avenue will be closed to motorcycles only
- A Note on Parking: Lakeside Avenue has free motorcycle parking all week; in the words of the event organizers, “do not pay over $5 to park your motorcycle!”
Accommodations: Lakes Region and Beyond
New Hampshire is a small state, which means that if you’re heading to Weirs Beach for motorcycle week, you can choose from a variety of regions for your lodging. The Naswa Resort, in Weirs Beach, is the official rally hotel, but options at all levels of affordability abound.
The Laconia Motorcycle Week’s website has a great list of campgrounds, hotels, motels and resorts for the event’s attendees. Want to venture out of Weirs Beach? You can also use this list of nearby regions to seek out the ideal lodging option for your rally adventure:
- Lakes Region (including Weirs Beach)
- Dartmouth and Sunapee Region
- Merrimack Valley Region
- Monadnock Region
- White Mountains Region
Although New Hampshire doesn’t offer public transportation from all the above areas to the main event, a shuttle service will run between Weirs Beach and Meredith all week long.
“Don’t Miss” Events
In 1916, a Gypsy Tour gathered at Weirs Beach, giving riders a way to gather and enjoy activities like racing and hill climbs. Ever since, the Weirs has been home to a variety of motorcycle events. The 97th Annual Laconia Motorcycle Week is no different. View the full event schedule on the rally’s website, (some event dates have not been updated yet) and consider adding these “must see” events to your itinerary:
- Gyspy Tours: Daily scenic rides leaving from Rally Headquarters in Weirs Beach
- USCRA FIM North American Vintage Championships & Harley vs. Indian Wars
- 97th Annual Loudon Classic: Experience the longest-running motorcycle race in America (and Laconia Motorcycle Week’s signature race event)
- M/S Mount Washington Cruise: A boat ride around the beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee
- AMA-Sanctioned HillClimb: Hosted by Gunstock Mountain Resort; tickets are $20 for adults and free for kids 10 and younger; BYOB, vendors and on-site camping available
You can also head to Rally Headquarters daily from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Want to catch some live music? Head to the Naswa Resort (11 a.m. to close) and/or the Marketplace! (12 p.m. to 11 p.m.) daily.
A Few Great Rides to Consider
When you’re not hanging out at Rally Headquarters, catching a race or taking a Gypsy Tour, consider checking out all the scenic routes that New Hampshire has to offer. Because any motorcycle week wouldn’t be complete without a great ride (or two or three).
- Lakes Region Tour: Circle Lake Winnipesaukee starting at Alton Bay. Ride through Gilford, Weirs Beach, Meredith, Holderness, Center Harbor and Moultonborough before getting back to the bay.
- Great North Woods Tour: Take a 13-mile scenic byway called “Moose Alley,” which runs along Route 3 north of Pittsburgh.
- Kancamagus Highway: Take in the beauty of the White Mountain Region on a 30-mile scenic byway that runs from Conway to Lincoln, winding through mountains with every mile.
- Canterbury Shaker Village Byway: This 24-mile ride runs through a 694-acre village that transports you back in time. Check out the Shaker village, botanical gardens, ponds and more on this route about 20 minutes from Concord.
Want more ideas? Laconia Motorcycle Week has a really great Explore New Hampshire section with tons of scenic rides.
Shipping your motorcycle to Laconia Motorcycle Week
If you’re like us, you’re already counting down the days to Laconia Motorcycle Week. But what if you can’t ride all the way to New Hampshire’s Weirs Beach this August? Or maybe, you’ll be too wiped from a week of fun to ride your motorcycle back home. Whether you need your motorcycle transported one way or both ways, Motorcycle Shippers is here to help.
From Daytona Bike Week to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and, of course, Laconia Motorcycle Week, riders rely on Motorcycle Shippers to transport their bike safely to and from the country’s biggest rallies. We’re avid riders, and we’re passionate about getting your precious cargo from Point A to Point B. (Our enhanced COVID-19 policies ensure the safety of both your motorcycle and your family.)
August might seem far off in the future, but now is the best time to get all the details of your Laconia Motorcycle Week trip ironed out. If that includes shipping your motorcycle, reach out so that we can get you a free quote.